The release of CMMI V2.0 will not impact currently-held V1.3 appraisals, which will remain active until their original expiration date. However, as organizations prepare for their next appraisal, they will need to understand the benefits of transitioning to a CMMI V2.0 appraisal and the implications of remaining with CMMI V1.3 through the appraisal sunset period.
CMMI V2.0 introduces new, improved appraisal classes:
- Benchmark appraisals (replacing SCAMPI A appraisals) can result in a maturity level rating which is valid for 3 years.
- Sustainment appraisals (new appraisal class) can extend a Benchmark maturity level rating for an additional 2 years. After the initial Benchmark appraisal, you may conduct 3 consecutive Sustainment appraisals before you are required to re-baseline with another Benchmark appraisal.
- Evaluation appraisals (replacing SCAMPI B & C appraisals) can be used by organizations at any scope and against any section of the CMMI V2.0 model content, providing flexibility to meet business objectives.
CMMI V1.3 appraisals will be accepted until 31 March 2020. CMMI V2.0 appraisals will begin to be accepted in January 2019. You may choose to renew your V1.3 appraisal until the end of March 2020, but we encourage you to make the shift to CMMI V2.0 for you next appraisal. Here are a few of the reasons why:
- CMMI V2.0 includes additional practice areas for performance and governance, while streamlining and simplifying process areas from V1.3. This means that your CMMI adoption will add new value to your organization without additional weight.
- CMMI V2.0 appraisals are designed to reduce the cost of preparation while maintaining reliability and adding additional value in the form of a performance report and improved support for governance and infrastructure.
- CMMI V2.0 introduces Sustainment appraisals which will allow eligible organizations to extend a Benchmark maturity level for two additional years through an appraisal on one-third the scope of a standard benchmark appraisal. However, only V2.0 Benchmarks are eligible for Sustainment—you cannot use the Sustainment appraisal to extend a V1.3 Maturity Level.
For more on why you should join the rest of the community in transitioning to CMMI V2.0, please see: How is CMMI V2.0 different from V1.3?
Stay connected to CMMI V2.0! If you would like to stay up-to-date on the latest news and information on CMMI V2.0, please submit the form found here.
If you have other questions not answered here, please send them to email@example.com.